in search of the perfect sunset

in search of the perfect sunset

Sunday, September 7, 2014

Back with a Vengence (Part 2)

So sometimes, you know the feeling of just when you become a little over confident in your situation, life has a way of clipping your wings, reminding you that you aren't the one in charge?  Well, the title of this post in it's first run are living proof of just that.  While I woke up yesterday feeling like a new man, I closed out the night with a relapse of the previous two days "unsettling" problem.  All of this on the heels of one of the best dinners either of us has ever experienced.  More on that later, but yesterday was one of those days that causes you to feel as though you are on top of the world.  Only to end the night saying, please no, not again!!!

As you have already read in the prior post, we had a wonderful time touring the Museo del Banco Central and the Pumapungo Incan ruins yesterday.  Closing out the tour with the wonderful waffles we had been looking forward to for three months was a perfect ending to the day.  But wait, that's really just where the day began.  Remember, waffles were our brunch.  From there we asked each other, "Where to now?  

We sat down on a wall in the shade and contemplated our next move.  We studied the map and decided to head to a market we had heard about.  We walked out to the busy street and hailed a taxi.  In my Spanish, that to the listener likely resembles a broken and scratched 45 record playing on 33 speed, with a Southern drawl at that.... I tried to explain to the cabbie where we wanted to go.  He just looked at us and shook his head in the universal language of, "No".  

We got the message, climbed out of the cab and thought, "What now"?  As we walked about a half block up the street in the general direction of El Centro a sinking feeling came over me.  I felt my left rear pocket, my left front pocket, the two usual places I carry my camera and case.  Neither were in their place!  I asked Jana if I had given it to her to put in the back pack and she said no.  

My mind started racing that I had laid it down in the taxi when I pulled out the map to show the cabbie where we wanted to go.  But something inside me told me that I never picked it up off the wall where we had been contemplating our next move.  When I laid it down there to look at the map I told myself not to forget to pick it up.  But of course, I did forget.  I told Jana to wait right where she was and took off down the busy sidewalk like a man possessed.  What was I supposed to do, you all are counting on me to bring you these wonderful pictures, right?? If I lost the camera I could replace it, but no way could I replace the pictures and ultimate memory simulators I had just taken in the park.  

As I rounded the corner my mind kept telling me I had not picked it up from the wall where we had discussed our next move.  I knew that the area we had been sitting wasn't a busy walk way so I had hope it was still there.  Well, you know the outcome because you saw the pictures from the park.  But for that brief 90 seconds I felt sicker than all of the misery I had experienced over the past 48 hours combined.  Fortunately, the camera was right where I had unknowingly left it and I headed back to Jana.  As soon as I spotted her I gave her a big thumbs up and I'm sure she was as relieved as I.  

Well, enough of that.  I promised you in the first post this blog would be driven more by pictures than by words.  But, somehow I couldn't take a picture of that panic.  Thank goodness it all worked out!  

On to what you came here for.  From the Museum we just strolled up Calle Larga, took a couple of pictures of interesting graffiti and then decided to take a $2 tour of a monastery by the name of Totosantos.  I'll shut up now and let the pictures do the talking.








Our tour guide, Jenny, told us that she couldn't speak English very well and we told her that her English was way better than our Spanish, so no worries.  I think the pictures some what speak for themselves, but just know this is the only time I have ever taken a "behind the curtains" look at a convent.  It was both fascinating and enlightening.  











Yep, the nuns run their own restaurant to raise money to assist with the upkeep of the church.  Remember, we had just had waffles so it wasn't time to eat again, yet.  We will be going back.

Then it was up towards our favorite people watching spot, Parque Calderon.  Of course I had to have an ice cream cone, .25 cents! from a street vendor... yep, let that sink in, .25 cents....   we bought Jana some popcorn and found us a park bench in the shade and took in the typical sights of a Saturday in the park in Ecuador.










As we sat and watched the people parade by, a sweet little young lady by the name of Janice (she pronounced it as "Hanice") was walking by with her father.  With a big smile on her face, unashamed of her mouth full of braces, she spoke to us in English and asked how we were doing.   Of course we told her we were wonderful and returned the inquiry.  She told us with her beaming smile what a great day it was.  We chatted a moment and offered she and her father a seat on the bench with us.  Thirty minutes later we had learned that she was 15 years old, from a town about 2 hours away from Cuenca and that she and her father, Pedro, had come to Cuenca for the weekend to merely enjoy the city.    She learned about where hailed from and that Jana has five children... ha, got cha'!  Two real children and three dogs!!!! LOL - go ahead and laugh, you know I got ya!!!  Anyway, introducing our new little friend "Hanice" and her father, Pedro.  



After big hugs goodbye, knowing our paths would likely never cross gain, we headed back to our apartment for what has become our afternoon ritual, a two hour siesta.  However, along the way, we got side tracked and stopped in for a two for one in the lounge of one of the many remodeled Spanish Colonial homes that have been turned into gorgeous hotels with their garden setting interior courtyards.  









While we have operated essentially without "plans" on this trip, we did have reservations   for dinner at 7:30 at what is likely the swankiest restaurant in all of Cuenca.  Of course I don't know all of the restaurants in this town, but from all I've read about this city, I dare say after experiencing the place, if there is a swankier place I'm not sure this little ole' redneck from Brimingham could deal with the swank!

We took our siesta and got ready for dinner.  We were actually going to "dress up" for this place but it turned out I didn't like khakis with the shirt I planed to wear and Jana didn't want to wear her fancy shoes with her ankle brace, so off we went in our usual comfortable casual.  

The Mansion Alcazar is located about seven blocks from our apartment so naturally, we struck a trot.  Since it was evening already I couldn't take pictures that would do the grounds justice so I am providing a link for you to the hotel website.  I encourage you to take a moment to peruse the professional photos of this place.  Then again, don't because you'll probably try to book a stay there and last I saw they're booked solid for the next three months!  This at the highest priced hotel in this town that I am aware of.  But in case you want to risk it, here's the link... Mansion Alcazar (House of the Angels).

Now that you have done that to yourself, here are our paltry photos of the interior courtyard and our five course dinner serving in their restaurant, Casa Alonzo.
















Total bill for that swank, well you really don't want to know, but I'll tell you anyway... Restaurant tab, including tax and tip - $72, plus one bottle of Argentine Cabernet, $45, total bill, 5 course dinner, vino, tax and tip.... $117.  Yep, we really splurged last night.

From there we hailed a taxi and scurried back to the apartment because the little demons that had been messing with me for the previous two day started acted like they were going to resurface.  I'm relieved to report that I woke up this morning without any further issues.  We were able to head out on a trip to the artisan villages that are about 45 minutes from Cuenca that we had arranged last night with a private guide.  More on that in the next edition so stay tuned my friends.  Until then, last one up please blow out the candles....





No comments:

Post a Comment